Saturday, February 4, 2017

"Frankly"

Dear Family and Friends,
It's been a good and busy week! I was blessed to see the Hand of God in my life in many small ways. I feel like I ran into, and was able to visit with many friends I hadn't talked to in months. I was also blessed to be able to hear Elder and Sister Bednar speak as well as Sister Kristen Oaks. I feel like the Lord was really trying to reach out to me and assure me that he really does have my best interest in mind. Sometimes with my limited understanding and sight it's hard to trust things really are for the best, particularly when they cause a lot of anxiety and sadness. Later on down the road I know I'm going to look back on this time and really value what it taught me and how it helped me to grow, but right now I'm just grateful for the little bits of God's hand I see in my life to help me to keep walking when I just want to stop fighting. I'm winning the battle, but the slow pace of healing combined with how much effort it takes, can be discouraging. I am grateful for my Family and Friends and particularly my Heavenly Parents and Savior who love me "Frankly". 

My thoughts were turned to the word "Frankly" this week when I read in 1 Nephi 7:20-21, "20 And it came to pass that they were sorrowful, because of their wickedness, insomuch that they did bow down before me, and did plead with me that I would forgive them of the thing that they had done against me. 21 And it came to pass that I did frankly forgive them all that they had done, ...". It really impressed me how Nephi used the word frankly to describe the way in which he forgave his brothers. I looked up the work Frankly in the Oxford English Dictionary to reaffirm it meant what I thought it did, and to be able to see if it had a different meaning at the time the Book of Mormon was written. The definitions have stayed relatively unchanged since it's first use in the 1600s, here are the three I liked best in connection with this verse. 1. Freely; unrestrictedly, without restraint or constraint. 2. In a liberal spirit, generously; unconditionally, unreservedly. 3. Without concealment, disguise, or reserve; avowedly, openly, plainly. Looking at these definitions made me really admire Nephi even more. To have come away from a moment where is brothers are trying to kill him and forgive them "without restraint, unconditionatlly, plainly" really shows how Christ like we need to be! If Nephi can forgive his brother frankly, then I want to be like Nephi and ultimately Christ, who forgives all of us Frankly. Sometimes it's hard to not want to hold forgiveness and love back until the other person "deserves" it. But in reality waiting to forgive or love someone is wasted time, and is not after the example of the Savior. I want to do a better job of doing things more Frankly, particularly when it comes to loving, caring, and forgiving the people I am blessed to have in my life! 

Love to you All!
Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment