Monday, January 16, 2017

Equal and Opposite Opposition

Dear Family and Friends,

I'm back! (Well in a fashion). For my religion class this semester at BYU we get to make a post each week about something we have learned from the scriptures or in class. Since I've already got this wonderful blog I decided to continue to use it. I hope you enjoy hearing from me again and that I can say something that will help others also come closer to God!

This week in my religion class we were studying Moses 1 from the Pearl of Great price. In verses 19-20 Satan comes to Moses and becomes angry when Moses refuses to worship him. He becomes so angry that Moses sees the "bitterness of Hell". My professor shared a quote from Brigham Young, "God never bestows upon His people, or upon an individual, superior blessings without a severe trial to prove them, to prove that individual, or that people, to see whether they will keep their covenants with Him, and keep in remembrance what He has shown them. Then the greater the vision, the greater the display of the power of the enemy." It had never really occurred to me how great blessings/revelation often are juxtaposed with trail/temptation either before or after. It doesn’t change that sometimes those trials and temptations can be almost overwhelming, but it will help me to remember the reality of the blessing and revelation I receive. No matter how hard and challenging life is, or how tempting it would be to just give up and not try, we MUST continue on. One day and one step at a time!

This thought was pretty meaningful to me because of the challenges related to changes in my own life. Adjusting to being "single" again and starting BYU's nursing program being large parts of those challenges. There has been a lot of up and down in the last month. However, it's a new year and so it's time to start again and believe in better days to come! I've been home a year and a half this month. The scary thing about that is that I feel like the past 18 months went a lot faster than the 18 months I spent in Kansas. Just like the 18 months on my mission I have grown a lot and become a better person. In many ways I feel like I've maintained the rapid growth rate I picked up on my mission. Sometimes that is exhausting, but I wouldn't change it for anything! I'm excited about the new opportunities before me, including the one to update this blog with the things I am learning. 

Love to you All,

Katie/Katelyn/Sister Blood

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful insights Katelyn! Thanks. These are also very meaningful thoughts in my own changed circumstances (ie, being widowed and now returning to BYU). And I have also been home from my short West Indies office mission for 18 months now. Funny how individuals from different countries, and of such different ages, can have similar challenges! Your writing here inspires me on a "I can do hard things but maybe I don't want to" day. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete